The situation surrounding coronavirus (COVID-19) is continually evolving. SCRHA is following the guidance issued by Governor Newsom and the California Department of Public Health. While our office is closed, we continue to serve our members. Please follow us on Twitter for real-time updates that impact our members.
Information Below Updated on June 2, 2020, at 10:00 a.m.
WHITE PAPER – GUIDANCE FOR DEALING WITH COVID-19
We have just added “Guidance for Dealing with COVID-19” to our library of White Papers. We have compiled a variety of resources and put them in one document that will be updated regularly as information, guidance, and resources continue to evolve. Click here or fill out the form on this page to download a FREE copy of our complete White paper.
SCRHA WEBINARS on COVID-19
- 6/04: 5 Ways to Quickly Convert Online Leads into Rentals (Virtually) with Kristi Fickert
- 6/08: Healthy Offices and Buildings in the Time of COVID-19
- 6/11: Preserve and Protect – Reputation Management During a Pandemic with Mindy Price
- 6/16: Customer Service During COVID-19
- 6/18: Use Your EQ to Tame Your Brain and Cope During Crises with Valerie M. Sargent
- NAA Reopening Guidance NEW!
- This is general in nature. Please make sure to consult local and state health orders for additional compliance requirements.
- Reopen San Diego Business Safety Framework (County of San Diego) NEW!
- County of Riverside Readiness and Reopening Framework
- Safe Reopening Plan NEW!
EVICTION MORATORIUM INFORMATION
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) from Landlords and Property Managers
- COVID-19 Guidance for Shared or Congregate Housing
COVID-19 Forms Discussion Webinar Recording 4.3.2020
- Form 298 COVID-19 Hardship Consideration Form
- Form 400.5 COVID-19 Three Day-Pay or Quit NEW!
- National Apartment Association Guidance – Includes Information Related to Residents
- National Apartment Association-Visto Class on COVID-19 Basic Prevention and Preparation
- Coronavirus Preparedness for Apartment Firms from National Multifamily Housing Council
- Centers for Disease Control
- Prevention of Coronavirus from CDC
- World Health Organization (WHO)
DOWNLOAD OUR WHITE PAPER
Fill out the form below to download our free White Paper, “Guidance for Dealing with COVID-19.”
COMMUNICATING WITH RESIDENTS REGARDING RENT PAYMENT SITUATION
Because of the differences in the Moratorium Regulations linked to this page, the SCRHA has not been able to create a sample letter for you to use when communicating to residents about rent payments. Instead, we encourage you to reach out to residents proactively and assess their situation. Here is some sample language that might help, particularly in conjunction with Form 298 mentioned on this page too:
Sample Language: If you have experienced a job layoff or business slowdown that has impacted your family’s income due to COVID-19 pandemic and cannot pay your rent in accordance with the terms of your Rental Agreement, please notify the rental office of your circumstances prior to your due date, but no later the seven days after it. We cannot forgive any rent due, but we will work in good faith with you. We encourage you to pay what you are able and we will ask you to sign a Payment Agreement outlining how you will pay the balance of the rent. You will need to provide proof that your circumstance relates to the COVID-19 pandemic to the rental office at some point, so we suggest that you gather that information as well (pay stubs, bank statements, notices of layoff or furlough, etc.).
SCRHA PRESS RELEASES & MEDIA COVERAGE
- Commentary: California must fund its mandate to protect tenants
Watch SCRHA President Kendra Bork’s Interview with KUSI
- SCRHA Press Release on Rent Strike – March 31, 2020
- 10 News San Diego – Rents, mortgage payments due amid financial hardship
- CBS 8 – Do you know what to do if you can’t make your April rent payment? You must act now
Fox 5 San Diego – Renters prepare to strike as landlords urge normal payments
- KPBS – Tenants Prepare For Rent Strike As Landlords Urge Normal Payments
- KUSI – Tenants prepare for rent strike as landlords urge normal payments
- KUSI – Advice for tenants and landlords during this pandemic
- San Diego Union-Tribune – San Diego apartment association responds to rent strike
- Times of San Diego: Landlords Say ‘Everyone Loses in a Rent Strike’ in Reply to Tenant Group’s Call
- Village News: COVID-19 crisis impacts rental housing industry, new resources help owners assist tenants
- COVID-19 Crisis Impacts Rental Housing Industry; New Resources Help Owners Assist Tenants – March 26, 2020
SCRHA is making you aware that we have received reports of potentially deceptive advertising related to the use of the pest control product NISUS DSV as a Coronavirus disinfectant. This product is only licensed for 1) household pests (such as rodents or insects), 2) wood-destroying pests and organisms, and 3) pests which invade households and other structures (please see Business and Professions Code section 8505). Claims related to use of this product for purposes other than those mentioned above may invalidate the warranty on any work done and may have other repercussions. We encourage anyone that is the victim of a scam or has information about products that are falsely advertised, to file at complaint at oag.ca.gov.
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- U.S. Department of Labor
- American Bankers Association: Bank Actions to Assist Customers
STATE OF CALIFORNIA RESOURCES
- California Department of Public Health
- California Employment Development Department (EDD)
- California Department of Industrial Relations, Labor Commissioner Office
- California Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response
- Executive Order N-28-20
- Letter to Governor – Eviction Moratorium
- Executive Order N-37-20
- Governor’s Task Force on Business and Jobs Recovery
LOCAL RESOURCES – SAN DIEGO COUNTY
- Guidance on Disinfection of Surfaces for COVID-19 from Department of Environmental Health (DEH)
- Resources for Employers from San Diego Employers Association
- County of San Diego
- Superior Court of California County of San Diego
- San Diego COVID-19 Community Response Fund
- San Diego County COVID-19 Text Message Alert System
- San Diego County Treasurer-Tax Collector
- City of San Diego Business Relief and Support
- San Diego County Department of Environmental Health Pool Program NEW!
LOCAL RESOURCES – RIVERSIDE COUNTY
- County of Riverside
- Coronavirus Readiness & Reopening NEW!
- Superior Court of California County of Riverside
- Riverside Tax Treasurer-Tax Collector
- Riverside County Environmental Health issues guidance on shared pools in response to coronavirus
- City of Cathedral City
- City of Coachella
- City of Desert Hot Springs
- City of Hemet
- City of Indio
- City of Indian Wells
- City of La Quinta
- City of Menifee
- City of Moreno Valley
- City of Murrieta
- City of Palm Desert
- City of Palm Springs
- City of Perris
- City of Rancho Mirage
- City of Temecula
LOCAL RESOURCES – IMPERIAL COUNTY
- Imperial County
- Imperial Tax Treasurer-Tax Collector
- Superior Court of California County of Imperial
- City of Brawley
- City of Calexico
- City of Calipatria
- City of El Centro
- City of Holtville
- City of Imperial
NAA CORONAVIRUS MICRO-WEBINARS
VIRTUAL MEETINGS & CLASSES
With social distancing measures in full effect and many people working from home, this is a great opportunity to refresh your knowledge on issues that owners and/or property managers frequently encounter. As a member of SCRHA and NAA, you can access online classes through Visto or check our Education Calendar for upcoming webinars.
SCRHA continues to send email updates on COVID-19 to our members to keep you updated on local regulations, best practices, and resources during this trying time. If you are a current member and do not receive our emails, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or sign up for our newsletter using the form below. Past emails can be found by clicking on the following links.
- May 21: COVID-19 Updates – The Latest on Re-Opening and Eviction Moratoriums
- May 1: COVID-19 Updates – May is here; the time for rental assistance is now
- April 22: COVID-19 Updates – Be heard and prepare for May
- April 7: County of San Diego Health & Safety Order
- April 6: State Court Takes Action on Evictions; Government Orders for Businesses
- March 31: Just Released: COVID-19 Forms Updates – Rent Strike
- March 28: Just Released: COVID-19 UPDATE
- March 27: Governor Sets Statewide Eviction Moratorium Guidelines – NAA/NMHC CARES Act Comments
- March 25: SCRHA Update on Eviction Moratoriums
- March 24: Just Released: COVID-19 Form 298 Accommodation Request
- March 23: Just Released: COVID-19 FAQs
- March 19: Just Released: COVID-19 White Paper
- March 18: COVID-19 News & Guidance
- March 13: SCRHA Update on COVID-19
The information provided herein is general in nature and is not intended to be legal advice. It is designed to assist our members in understanding this issue area, but it is not intended to address specific circumstances or business situations. For specific legal advice, consult your attorney.